The Berendo library is named after Mrs. Norma B. Gibson. Her name adorns the outside of the library in honor of all her hard work and dedication to the family of Berendo Middle School. In 1959, Mrs. Norma B. Gibson became Principal of Berendo, and she remained in that office until 1970. The school enjoyed eleven wonderful years under Ms. Gibson’s leadership. The school library, to which she had personally donated hundreds of books, was named in her honor.
Today, the Teacher Librarian is Mr. Weintraub. Students can ask Mr. Weintraub about the latest books that are available and check the computer for books of interest as well. They can also get help with schoolwork and research projects. Mr. Weintraub also provides classes with lessons on online research and the use of LAUSD’s Digital Library, digital citizenship, choosing the right book, and appreciating literature. Mr. Weintraub has provided the following information about the library’s hours of operation and procedures:
- The library is open every school day during lunch and nutrition. It opens every day at 7:30 AM, and is open until 3:30 PM every day except Tuesday.
- Students wishing to visit during lunch or nutrition must see Mr. Weintraub before or after school to obtain a pass.
- Students can check out two books at a time. Books can be checked out for one week, and can be renewed for one additional week.
- Fines for overdue are 10 cents per day. If a book is lost, the student must cover the cost the cost to replace it.
- Students may use the computers to do research, look up grades, type papers (no printer available; bring a flash drive to save your work), or play certain educational games. Students needing the computers for school assignments will be given priority.
- All students must have a signed copy of LAUSD’s Responsible Use Policy on file in order to use computers.
- No food or drinks in the library.
- Please do not attempt to re-shelve books; place them on one of the rolling carts.
- Teachers can request appointments to visit the library with their classes by using the online calendar on this website. Simply click the calendar icon to check availability and use the form at the bottom of the page to send a request. Classes may not visit with substitute teachers.
- Teachers can send up to three individual students to the library, but they must completely fill out the official library pass. Please email Mr.Weintraub if you would like to request more passes.